Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Tiziana Heck
    Participant

– What type of communication styles would you rather use with the VEs you will support?
    – Why do you think they will work better?

I believe that active listening lies at the core of connecting communication, which is the style of communication that I would like to focus on. I think it will help me to remind myself of the four components (observing without evaluation, expressing feelings, expressing needs, requesting)  of connecting communication during interactions, so that both conversation partners can benefit from a positive encounter.

I think that it is important to also tailor the channels of our connecting communication to our own needs, and the need of our interlocutor(s). Maybe it would also be possible to be an active listener on a phone call, even though one is not able to make eye contact. Another idea would be to send each other audio messages to communicate it that would be the preferred communication channel of one’s interlocutor. As already mentioned in other contributions to this forum, we are unfortunately mostly limited to online communications at this point. Yet, we can be creative and test out the best ways to communicate with the Volunteer Educator we are working with.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here